Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Perry lockout

-----Original Message-----
From: brenthartwig@hotmail.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 7:26 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Perry lockout

Vance, I see I got a little confused with your quote of "All the Perry boats had dual hatches with two pivoting dogs (tapered)." I'm not visualizing that statement into mechanical form.  Some times a little smack on the back of the head will do the trick with me. :)'   Coffee cup lock, I like that.  I'm familiar with medical locks since I worked on one for my Great Uncles 2 ATM hyperbaric chamber.  Here is a pic of the inside medical lock door on his chamber before it was finished.  There are four temporary white clamps holding the door shut.
http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=2384531&pid=3826538&myphotos=1
Yes I know that door is serious over kill for a 2 ATM chamber but if you knew my Great Uncle Clyde you would understand.  If a 2"x 6" stud would do he would use a 6" X 12" beam.  Here is a pic of the outside of the chamber, showing the outside of the medical lock, but before the outside door was installed.  I would of used a outward opening locking ring hatch for this door.
http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=2384531&pid=3826537
My thoughts on the need for hyperbaric chambers to decompress divers is a little different.  I would like my DLO to be the decompression chamber.  If it's designed to take the internal pressure when the sub is at the surface, and it has a coffee cup lock, as well as controls in the crew compartment for a doctor or other to operate, you could treat a diver with out a regular on board chamber or if you don't even have a support ship at all. I was also thinking about making the crew area be able to withstand the same internal pressure that the DLO can handle, and so you could use it as a transfer lock.  That of course requires design changes in the exit hatches into LRH's, view ports, electronics, etc., etc..
I had at least wanted the crew area to be able to be a 2 ATM hyperbaric chamber for general health reasons, but a higher PSI rating would require allot more thought.  If the DLO is in the bow of my submarine, much like in the Euronaut, then I was thinking that the whole bow section which is mostly the DLO could be designed to release from the main sub hull and act as an escape pod in case of a serious problem(s) with the rest of the boat.  Also if hatches in the DLO  could be placed in the port and starboard walls, as well as the ceiling that you could escape the DLO  as a diver regardless of how the sub lay on the bottom of the ocean, lake, or river. That's if your not to deep of course.  Better yet if the top hatch in the ceiling is able to receive a international locking skirt from a DSRV or a PSUB of your own making, you could escape the DLO dry as well as use the set-up as a transfer chamber if the smaller PSUB was designed to take that amount of internal pressure.
What can I say, I'm a submarine half full of the good smoke, kind of guy.
Regards Brent