Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Horizontal Pressure Hull Weldment Supports?

Hi. Really nice computer work. I have a few thoughts. Would it be easier to increase the skin thickness, in order to reduce the interior support structure? I'm a welder by trade and those designs look very difficult to build, expensive, heavy, and create pockets for corrosion that you just can't get to.
If you wanted to modify the hull later, like add a window, the structure would maybe limit your choices.
If you're crawling/walking around inside, that's a lot of head bangers. If you're running plumbing inside, it would have to stand away from the framing.
Seems to me, you'd be better to make the hull out of thicker material, have a nice smooth surface inside, and minimize the pockets you can't reach with paint.
The framing takes away from the useable space.
The fewer welds the better. Every weld adds stress. Some of it good, some not so good.
If you make the hull out of one inch plate, with standard "t" rings stitch welded ( not continuous ) it would be much easier to build, cheaper, easier to modify, and give you more interior space.
Frank D.