Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] question

George - hope this helps.  Assuming this is submersible related, I'll
respond on-list.

I used to be a photographer.  We were constantly tempted to sell full rights
to an image for an immediate payout of, say, $1,500 USD as opposed to
selling one-time rights with limited use, say for a half-page, colour
advert, inside front page, three month insertion, sometimes with credit
depending on image use.

The upside is immediate cash.  The downside is loss of all future revenue
and credit for the photos.  In other words, complete ownership gone.

Why not offer a lease arrangement so that all rights and intellectual
property remain yours.  Business application leaves you with, say 1.5 to 3 %
of gross profits, which is typical of what an inventor is usually offered.
Their argument is that they're doing all the hard work of bringing your baby
to market.  All you did was draw on napkins and the backs of envelopes.
Have a rider drafted that stipulates continued employment if your
intellectual property is successfully marketed.  All to be terminated at
your discretion since you retain ownership.  Obviously they won't let you
have it all your way.

So, you can be a hobbyist, they know you have skin in the game (your 1.5 to
3 %) and offer your services without selling your soul to the devil.

Speaking of devils, get a contract lawyer.  It'll be worth it.  At least
this one disappears after you pay him/her.  You'll live with a lifetime of
regret if you get screwed on your creation.

What's your end goal?  Also, what guarantee do you have that your future
livelihood won't be canned once your employers have all rights?

Note, as well, that there are govn't departments dedicated to bringing
together inventors and industry.  Stay away from outfits offering to "market
your invention".  You'll see these in the backs of mags like Pop. Mechanics,
etc.  Poison.

Good luck  ;-)

Rick Lucertini
Vancouver