Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] No more batts on psubs?

I suspect the beginning of a long and beautiful thread  ;-)

And I quote: "Ultracapacitors have replaced or are being tested to replace batteries in engine starting applications such as . . . submarine engines . . ."

No hydrogen emissions, no chemistry at all, no heat emissions, no seawater/battery acid danger (chlorine gas), millions of duty cycles (not ~ 700 as with lead acid), one tenth the weight of lead acid batts, equivalent of an 800 km. drive for ~$10 (CDN) . . .

Sources:

http://thefraserdomain.typepad.com/energy/2006/01/about_supercapa.html
http://tyler.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2006/1/19/1715549.html
http://money.cnn.com/2006/09/15/technology/disruptors_eestor.biz2/index.htm

"The leading suppliers of ultracapacitors include Maxwell Technologies, San Diego, CA, USA; ELIT Co, Kursk, Russia; Joint Stock Company ESMA, Moscow, Russia;  NessCap, Ltd, Yongin, Kyonggi-Do, Republic of South Korea; Cap-XX pty.Ltd, Lane Cove NSW, Australia."

Enjoy!!!

Rick L
Vancouver, Canada