RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Storm and SUB

Carsten,

Great to converse with you and also to hear that you thought through many of the issues that might occur diving in the North and Baltic Seas (things can get treacherous fast there!).

Two thoughts that might help:

1.        A small handheld Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) that you can connect to your antenna.  Most Coast Guards can track these and often it is a satellite that gets the first hits.  Great for tracking down a lost boat or person (I have a small one that I take on in extremis dives or out in the wilderness.

2.       The second idea may not be feasible.  The inflatable collar sounds like a great idea but there are all kinds of opportunities for failure under trying conditions.  How about a thin fiberglass or aluminum sail coaming that the surface crew could snap onto the deck around the hatch to limit most of the water from entering.

Guess I am going to have to look at the Sgt. Pepper concept a little closer…would be cool to build one with some depth capability and cruise our 6000 ft. wall found ½ mile offshore.  I am getting ready to travel back to the States tomorrow morning so busy right now but would like to continue this conversation off line at a later time.  Is the MerlinSub email address a good place to contact you in the near future?

R/Jay

We just discuss that after a night dive of one of our scuba divers.

If the diver did manage back to the trawler - he is in really trouble and

will died after some hours at roof and coold sea.

On Peppers I can us the Gps to ride back to the meetingpoint, or use the radio

to give the trawler the position. In the night I can additional use the three searchlights.

Outside flashlight is allways running on a regular base.

If this is not working because everybody on the trawler is maybe sleeping or drunken..

 - I will do the same, sleep. Turning my body from prone position to sleep position 180 degrees. Switch scrubber fan offline and all other eletric and electronics to safe battery power and let just gps and radio on.

Connect the hose from the snorckel vale to my mouth and sleep until sombody in the radio weak me

up.. The boat is so small that I can heat the cabin to 22 degress even in the north sea

wearing a t-shirt, a hose and socks.. If it gets cold in theory I switch on the inside search light

which give me some nearly 50 watts of heat. Should run about 24 hours at least.

On daylight or even on night I can use the 360 turning videoskop to look for some

friendly fishing vessel with a crane..

I think I have a much, much better position to survife some days in the boat than a diver in the water..

Ps. If the crane of the trawler is not working the trawler can be use as wave barrier

and I can manage my way from the micro-sub to the inflatable boat. As long as I am

in the hatch only a very little water can rush in ;-) We can tow the boats than home.

For Euronaut I purchase exit-hoods from a US-nuke military surplus.

A liferaft is a device I should think about it.

Wish we can quick exhange pictures and drawings on psubs.. Moki-file-server is so slow.

Best Regards Carsten