Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] newbie questions

Thanks for the input. the design i'm currently working on began when i first read Frank Busbys book cover to cover for the first time somewhere around the age 15. essestially, it consists of the main pressure hull being 3ft in diam. and 10ft in length, with 2 viewing towers stuck on top apx. 2 1/2 ft in diam. and 2 ft. tall. most of this is contained in an outer hull 5 ft. in diam. tapering at both ends into an Albacore shaped hull. between the inner pressure hull and the streamlined outer hull will be the HPA tanks (planning on 4 large HP tanks, one of which being its own independent reserve system) o2 tank to bleed in, 2 2ft diam. trim ballast spheres(fore and aft, being apx. +/- 250lbs apeice to compensate for the diff. between fresh or salt water dives as well as usual trim) 2 10ft batteries tubes located at the keel, with a mech. droppable emergency lead ballast weight between them (which should also help keep a very low center of gravity for stability) as well as the fore and aft main ballast tanks. the overall length of the boat is apx. 25ft, and would like it to be deisel/elec. as to not require much surface support (or at least be able to use just about any vessel for surface support without loading compressors, batt. chargers, etc on whatever vessel we happen to be using) at any rate, thats the rough idea without writing a novel for everyone to read. any thoughts, ideas, questions, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated by anyone out there, either here or offlist.

-kory

From: ShellyDalg@aol.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] newbie questions
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 23:13:33 EDT

Hi Cory and welcome aboard! I'm fairly new to the group also but have
received lots of good ideas and support. I have just started building mine so I'll
be interested in the responses you get. Lots of good info in this group.
Several of the members have lots of experience, and also have their own subs.
As to your questions, I'm no expert, but the subs I've seen have 4 or eight
batteries. The voltage of the motors and how long you plan to stay down
determines how many. Typically a psub has a separate battery for electronics, etc. As for air, you need bottled air for blowing ballast, and reserve air if you
get stuck, as a minimum. Remember that blowing ballast requires more air
than just the cubic feet in the tanks. When you are at depth, the air in the ballast tanks is at the same pressure as the surrounding water, and a cubic foot
of air at the surface is MUCH smaller when you blow it into a ballast tank.
Some guys use scuba tanks and others use larger tanks like the oxygen tanks used in flame cutting. An oxygen tank is also a good thing to have if you plan to stay down longer than an hour. You won't need a big tank for that as you probably will bleed it into the sub slowly while a CO2 scrubber removes the
"bad air  "
You will also need to monitor cabin pressure and have some means of venting
the sub's extra air when you add any to the cabin. Otherwise you might blow
the windows out when you get near the surface. Sounds scary but it's not too
complicated.
Several monitors are needed like oxygen content and CO2, and several  subs
monitor water temp, depth, direction, power usage, reserve power and air etc. (
lots of dials ! )
One big thing is redundancy. If a system fails and you don't have a back-up
system, you could be in big trouble.
My thought in this adventure is to keep it simple, have back-up for the more
important systems, and never go in water deeper than you can swim to the
surface in.
If you can, go see some of the subs and talk to the guys. There's a lot to
be learned and everyone I've met is very helpful. Good luck in your project and
 remember to HAVE FUN !
Frank D. (408)353-6645    Santa Cruz,  CA