From: empiricus@telus.net
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 2:36 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] [was: Storm and SUB]

Hi, Vance -

Yeah, romance and reality are often mutually exclusive, especially in a one-atm. boat with little vis. through the portholes.  Sigh.

Understand that I was deliberately stressing the romantic in my previous email - I was "waxing eloquent" (having fun) as they say.

In terms of romance, it's my opinion that there's a yearning for the familiar, like Kittredge's boats, that limits the potential of any improvement in psub design.  It saddens me when I see truly wonderful attempts at creative design being dashed on the rocks, not because reality sinks in (safety, engineering, etc.), but rather because of what newbies come to believe as what a "real' sub should look like.

We can still wrap imagination around reality - I believe they can coexist.  And, yes, form SHOULD follow function or we'll simply never make a second dive.

I strongly feel that allowing technology, or the lack of knowledge thereof, to get in the way of safety is a little like riding around in a vintage car with no seat belts because, well, that's the way it was "back then".  You can do it, yes.  The original diving masks, Mark V navy hats, portholes, submersible protrusions, etc. all contribute in some way to added danger u/w.  Do we exclude them from the diving experience?  Of course not.  Our end goals are a mixture of mission design, safety, endurance, independence, etc.

If a submariner/diver is able to see what's got him tangled, or even better, avoid it in the first place, the chances of him surviving are a lot higher.

A one-atm. boat with large domes instead of tiny viewports or tiny domes is, IMHO, superior to the Kittredge boats as they are currently designed. When the large dome becomes an intrinsic part of the cabin then, I feel, we've made progress.  Hikino comes to mind.  If carefully designed, the high volume inherent in domes can be mitigated with careful placement of components without denigrating visibility from the pilot's seat.  I'll take the view from an old Korean war vintage Bell helicopter over a Beech Bonanza.  Different mission statements to be sure.  They're used differently.  That's why I like helicopters.

One aspect to, by way of example, an ambient sub, is being forced to stay within diving/bailout limits.  Other positives are the great vis available (domes, bubbles, canopies) in terms of potential entanglements and the lack of pokey things sticking out of the sub that can be caught u/w.

Many of the ways we design psubs unnecessarily add danger and, in a recreational boat, I feel there is no excuse.  You WILL be caught in current, you WILL be caught in low vis or after dusk, your equipment WILL fail, and medical emergencies WILL occur.  It's rarely a question of if, just when.

Obviously I'm not advocating a cavalier attitude regarding overheads, cable, current around wrecks, etc.  Like many list members, I've dived under a lot of adverse conditions (ice, night, wrecks, current, injured, commercial, etc.) and I maintain to this day that a significant alternative is available that enhances safety and the u/w experience, namely good vis from the cockpit.

Function AND form operating together for a more "romantic" experience.

Rick L
Vancouver