Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 20:28
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Storm and SUB

We made a run under a Cat. 5 hurricane and missed our earlier slots for radio communications due to its severity.  At 400 feet, we were still getting tossed around.  On our last slot available to radio in or be considered missing, we cam to periscope depth to pass the message.  Due to possible incorrect trim, we popped to the surface and ad to do an Emergency Dive ops.  I was opening a cabinet containing lab chemicals at the time and a bottle of potassium hydroxide pellets popped out and shattered on the counter edge resulting in chemical burns around my neck.  By the time we got back down to depth and safely sorting things out, we had a mess to clean up throughout the sub.  Fortunately no one was seriously injured.

An old trick of sailors to protect their vessels in the face of an approaching hurricane was to actually sink their boats up a creek.  This placed them on the bottom in a narrow area and thus did not sustain much damage other then having to pump them back out.

Respectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas

Natura nihil fit in frustra