RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Insulation

Some things to keep in mind concerning internal humidity in a submersible:

1.                    The body (skin) perspires about a cup (8 oz.) of moisture in an hour (reference: dry suit and aircrew survival equipment development).

2.                   The respirator system probably gives off 8-12 oz. of moisture in the same time (reference:  rebreather development, tech divers refer to it as ‘goobers”).

3.                   If a scrubber is used to remove CO2, some moisture is required in the sub’s atmosphere to start (and sometimes maintain) proper scrubber operation

4.                   A submersible starts with an atmosphere that is usually very warm from sun exposure and at near 100% humidity due to the hatch being located at near sea level.

5.                   Most submersible dives are probably made below the thermal layer so there will be a significant drop in hull temperature resulting in condensation forming from the initial trapped atmospheric humidity, perspiration, and exhalation.

6.                   Older subs and submersibles used cork to insulate the hull to minimize condensation on the interior skin, thick neoprene glued to the internal surfaces is often used today in larger subs.

7.                   Some rebreather use the previous mentioned chemical to collect exhaled moisture so if a scrubber is used in the submersible, the scrubber canister could be lengthened slightly and a layer of moisture absorbent included to reduce atmospheric humidity.

Hope this helps clarify some of the issues.

Jay K. Jeffries

Natura nihil fit in frustra

- Nature does nothing in vain