From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of ShellyDalg@aol.com
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 2:53 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Crush Depth Calculation.

Hello psubbers. First I would like to thank Les in Michigan for the wonderful day we spent together looking at his sub, and talking about design issues and the psub group in general.
Les: had any buyers for your sub yet?
Next, I was wondering about the formula for calculating crush depth on a given design. If anyone has info on the parameters and the formula to use, it would be greatly appreciated.
Third: I am looking for a semi-hemisphere tank end at 30 inch diameter and 1/2 inch thick ( in USA ) or maybe Canada. I have done a lot of searching on the web but the only source I've found is a boiler shop in Los Angeles  that can get me one made of segmented sections ( 5 pieces ) and the cost is $784 just for the pieces, not welded. That seems a little high.
A tank head manufacturer in Texas has one at 24 Inch diameter and 5/8 inch thick, one piece hot formed in a die, for $340 but it's a little small. He said that was the biggest die he had. I have sent numerous e-mail quote requests to other manufacturers but have not received any other replies. I think not many companies want to sell just one tank head.
I saw that " L.A. Boiler is on the sources list but haven't received a response from them.
Anyone have any other sources for a one piece hemisphere at 30 inch diameter and at least 1/2 inch thick?
Thanks to all the people for the help you've given since I joined. I've never felt snubbed by any "elitist group " and have learned so much.
Damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead with my life long dream of having my own sub!
Frank Dalgleish. Santa Cruz, California. E-mail- shellydalg@aol.com
=00The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it.