RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] 2005 Award Nomination Status

Title: Message
Forgive me Pierre, but I didn't realize Kraka had been launched in 2005! Ray, may I switch?
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Akins
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 6:47 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] 2005 Award Nomination Status

I'll second Carsten's nomination. Peter's Kraka is awesome!

By the way fellows. I contacted Peter a while back thanks to Carsten

for giving me his e mail address. Peter told me he was actually thinking of

scuttling Freya and making a dive wreck out of her! He was serious. But he would

prefer to give Freya to someone who would continue to use her and keep her operating.

However Peter would still retain ownership technically of her. He told me that whoever

gets her would probably never have to give her back to him, but he still wants

to retain ownership technically of her. I don't really understand

his reasoning for retaining ownership of Freya if he wants to give her away, and

especially since he is also considering sinking her for a dive wreck, so I don't understand

why he would care what happened to Freya if he gave her away if he is thinking of

sinking her for a wreck anyway, but it is his boat and he can do whatever he likes with her.

I told Peter I wouldn't mind having Freya if he wanted to give her away and I could possibly

have her shipped to my area in a freighter cargo container. He told me to check on this and get back with

him, but I have not had the chance to further pursue this due to a recent tragedy in my family

and right now I do not have the spirit or motivation to do much of anything sub wise right now.

I might later check on this if I ever snap back to my old self,  but if no one steps up to ask for Freya and meets Peter's

standards for her continued operation, I fear he may sink her as he mentioned he might do.

I would hate to see that happen to Freya. She has that cool U boot look that I love albiet with forward viewports.

So I am letting you all know in case anyone else here would like to contact him about her.

I would rather miss out on having her than see her sunk as a dive wreck.

Freya was originally electric and diesel, but Peter has removed the diesel and she is only

electric now. But I guess you could install another diesel if you wanted to. I think he took

it out to make for more space. So she has limited range, but who cares? She is still an

excellent electric boat. If I got her Peter would have to come to Tampa, Fl to show me

to ropes on operating Freya. I would of course have to pay the shipping to bring her here..

But remember, he will still technically own her. Perhaps Phil Nuyten could use her for the museum?

Sorry Phil, I probably spelled your last name wrong. I forgot the spelling.

Anyway, below are the e mails between Peter and I in case anyone is interested in acquiring Freya.

Bill Akins.

Hi Bill,

Freya weighs 3.2 tonnes dry, and is 7.5 meter long and has a narrow 1.0 meter beam. A few words on practical operation...

One of the basic problem that hit me when I designeds the Freya was the problem of coating the inner surfaces inside the casing and ballast tanks. The problem was never solved, since
fixing it would hav ment bolting the boat together at a large number of points. What makes the Freya a simple boat is the fact that it is all welded, with very few bolt connections.
So inside the tanks, and on the top of the pressurehull corrosion slowly eats up little Freya. However - the smart thing is that this is a very very slow proces. In ouer waters some 0.1 mm is eaten every
year, and that forms a 0.7 mm rustlayer, that makes further corrosion even slower. I cut small sample holes every year to check thickness, and what started as a 3.0 mm stealsheat has no place become less than
a 2.7 mm rusted stealsheat. If you prefer imperial units, just divide this with 25.4 and the numbers becomes inches.

Corrotion is electrochemistry, and we have added a chemical solution, that is the true reason for the slow decay. Bloks of zinch are boltet to the boat and this electropositive metal protects the boat in an electrochemical way. However this only works when the boat in in an electrolyte - e.g. seawater - and that means

KEAP THE BOAT IN THE WATER PERMANENT.

Every time we pull her up the boat rusts a lot, and if we did it over and over again It would shorten its life by several years.
Kraka suffers from the same problem, but on a number of places we have doubbled the thickness of her hull to increase lifetime. By the way every VIIC and every other doubblehulled or semi doubblehulled submersible in the world has this in-build death sentence...and they suffer every time they are taken out of their natural element.

High salinity - as in your part of the world may increase corrotion as well.

The electric system of the boat is fairly simple and it uses 24 Volt DC for just about everything. It contains a 230 volt AC 8 bar kompressoer, like the ones used in every contruction yard - and a big 200 liter HP air storage tank, integrated in the hull. To "americanice" it this will need to be replaced with a 110 device, plus a new charger. No sweat.

Transport - it goes by container - and you have to find a shipping agent who can give you a prize and a date. A container from Denmark to Japan costs just under 2000 us doller, and you dont need a full 20 " container but part of a 40" container - so you need professionel help.

It would not be a free meal - I will still be the owner, but most likely you can have the boat for the remains of her life. Whats importent to me is that Freya keeps making people happy, the kids smile and the adults facinated. That is her mission.

Finaly I must come to Tampa, to give you instructions in the use of this boat...

How is the visibility in your waters ?

-Ok, I recomend you check out on the logitics of this mission, and get back to me. Is very interesting with container transport sice Kraka can go to Fiji or Pearl harbor in that way...

I guess you have seen Mr. Blazejewicz homepage on Freya - if not there are links on the front of www.submarines.dk

Regards,

Peter

Hi Bill,

Freya as build in 2001 as an experiment. The experiment has turned out very well, in that and by now the boat has dived some 400 times and has given about as many people a joy ride under water. It most often dives with a crew of two or thee persons.

The boat still fully operational, within its limetations. We dont dive Freya to more than ten meters, and we cant sail at full speed on the accumulators for more than 1.5 hours. Surfaced speed is 3.5 to 4 knots

The boats quadruple ballasttanks gives the operator exelent control over the boats debth, it can easily be parked on density layers in the water, and can be dived or surfaced in a few seconds. The boat is fittet with nice big windows, tested to extreme overload.

Freya in my mind is to small for diesel machinery - but the batteries can be upgraded to 3 hours with limeted trubble.

The dive debth can be increased by diving the boat unmanned to say 25 meters or 40 meters and then using it to say half that debth. The theoretical colapse debth is 135 meters.

Freya is an amateur build submarine, with no classification, authorisation or anything else - she exists - and works fine, but there is no papers to certify anything.

With the introduction of Kraka, Fraya has become less technically interesting for me, so I keep it mostly for sentimental reasons, and is planning to sink her as a diver and submarine visit wreck in a not too far future...unless someone wish to have it.

There is no price, I would love to hand it over to a dedicated amatur, who will care for it and love it the way I did.
Only demand is that its stays operational, preferebly in exotic waters.

Regards,

Peter Madsen