From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Bill Boulden
Sent: Saturday, 24 December 2005 3:43 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Good source for deep use motors?

I use the magnetic drives on all of my dpv's. Nothing works better. The hardest part is that you have to maintain pressure on the shaft from the prop end. It's a semi-easy fix. The prop shroud has a nut in the center, that aligns with the center of the prop.  I tighten to maintain a slight pressure on the ceramic disk in the bottom of the magnet cup. I use ceramic shafts for the prop magnet to ride in, and the nut on the shroud holds it all together. If you don't put the pressure on it, it wobbles badly in a turn but works almost flawlessly in a stratight line, It always fixes itself, and the wobble is more disheartening then disfunctional. Some I use as pullers and some as pushers. The pusher align better as the magnet is being forced into the bottom of the cup. Great clutch, or not, dependant on the size of the magnets you use. I can use smaller ones and get a good slow start and then the fields catch, and I have a couple of huge ones that take! about 30 ftlbs to knock out of field. It's the reason I lurk here.  I build dpv's and not subs. All of them, about 6 right now, are magdrive. With the mag drive you get to use any motor you like as all is sealed and there's no shaft bearing/seal. I have a couple of favorite motors. You can use geared motors if you like. I have one that has an upgraded motor from one of those stupid scooters, and it drives through a ryobi 18volt gear reduced cordless drill head. Great power and pretty tiny overall package. Hooks right to my scuba tank....

Barkmann <barkmann@jerseymail.co.uk> wrote:
Sorry, should read "Magnetic Clutch"