Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 2:10 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Stainless hatch ring

Myles,

What is the mechanism of the embrittlement after chrome plating?
Hydrogen ingress?
 I know anodising propagate "kerfwerking" (dont know the english word), it has to do with a little notch that causes a crack,  but that does corrosion too.

About chrome and cruiser bikes: "it has to shine, it dont have to work"

Regards emile
Gents,

   The chrome plating process makes the metal more brittle.  Brittle in sub = bad.  Save the shiny stuff for other things.

Myles.