Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] "Split hull" question.

Hi NP,

I believe Kittredge build a K-350(?) some time ago
with a diesel engine for some guy up in Alaska. The
back of the hull was bolted together to allow access
to the engine.

That would be the only place I would ever bolt a hull
together. Each half would have its own ring that is
machined flat with one containing a O-ring in grove.
Around the rings would be holes for the bolts.

Having the bolts outside would make bolting easier
then in a cramped interior. However out bolting would
require the rings to stick up and increase water
resistance. Probably not a big deal at the speeds a
K-boat travels at.

The rings act like reinforment ribs. The seam between
the rings resists water pressure. While the seals keep
water out until the pressure differential squeezes the
two halves together for a tight metal-on-metal fit.

Having a seam that goes laterally can be done. However
its shape would not be circular. As such it would act
as an unusually shaped reinforment ring with unknown
prperties and mathematics. As typical when someone
wants to deviate from the norm. Make a sample ( a few?
) and test them to see where they break. The derate
your intended sphere of operations.

Regards,
Ray

http://farechase.yahoo.com