Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 1:06 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] scale model custom rulers

Hello All,

I've discovered a great piece of freeware that allows you to custom make graph paper cum custom scale rulers.

So what?

Well . . . I needed a custom made ruler to match the twelve inch manequin doll I bought for my model.  Problem was, every time I used my architectural rule I had to divide every measurement by two (assuming my manequin was a scale 6 feet tall).  Way too much room for error.  One inch was NOT one foot.

I created a graph that got down to a resolution of 1/4" (where two inches = one foot).  You can control the thicknesses of your lines.  For example, I made every scale inch a medium line, every scale foot a heavy line.  Letraset the lines with numerals, cut the paper rule out, laminate it, paste it onto a wood rule or thin stick and voila - a custom made ruler to whatever scale you'd like.

Obviously you don't need this app if you're using standard scales.  My manequin is a great workable size with articulating joints, just twice the scale that was on my engineering/architectural rulers.

This web site  http://www.mathematicshelpcentral.com/graph_paper.htm  has the executable file right at the bottom entitled
" Graph Paper Printer Program "
Version  4.21

There is a shareware link for a more comprehensive app at the developer's website:     http://www.marquis-soft.com/

And, yes, you can have both apps on your system - the shareware won't overwrite the freeware.

Have fun  ;-)

Rick
Vancouver