[PSUBS-MAILIST] Magnetic Switches & Clutches

Hi members. Mad scientist, wetsub Bill here.

In my search for some kind of waterproof variable speed switch for my wetsub,I have read many articles about the magnetic reed switch.

I am enclosing some links below that mention this type of switch. A lot of the links are about DPV's (diver propulsion vehicles) and

dive scooters and the type of reed switches they use. I noticed some of the highter end DPV's have a VARIABLE SPEED magnetic reed switch.

I intend to contact the manufacturer of these DPV's and ask them about those switches. I need to make sure they will work with my 24

volt minnkota and that the amps and volts would work with their switches. I believe a magnetic switch is the way to go because it precludes

having to worry about using an "O" ring on the shaft of a rheostat to waterproof it, plus the switch itself can be completely waterproof encased and

activated by a magnet that I can attach to my hand or to a lever that moves the magnet close to the encased switch when I apply pressure on

the lever. I will let you know what I find out after calling some of the manufacturers as to how their magnetic reed switches will work for controlling

my wetsub's motor speed. Here are those links if you want to take a look.

http://www.crydom.co.uk/

http://www.globalspec.com/FeaturedProducts/Detail/MeritSensorSystems/Surface_Mountable_Pressure_Sensor/23535/0

http://www.rovtech.com/us.html

http://www.nauticalniche.com/sea/underwater-propulsion.htm

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:lj36N49yl7oJ:www.naval-technology.com/contractors/diving/mazin/+variable+speed+underwater+switch&hl=en

http://www.mar-vel.com/pdffiles/P104_105_PROPULSION_VEHICLE_05.pdf

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:dAsL_wl_HqQJ:www.ukdiving.co.uk/equipment/articles/dpvs.htm+variable+speed+underwater+switch&hl=en

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:rm-xNu9ju5EJ:www.roboteq.com/ax3500closeup.shtml+variable+speed+underwater+switch&hl=en

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:zbeEoKvEdlcJ:www.hobbyengineering.com/PriceList.html+variable+speed+underwater+magnetic+reed+switch&hl=en

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:Xga0I8MmA0kJ:www.divetekadventures.com/StoreScooters.htm+variable+speed+underwater+magnetic+reed+switch&hl=en

I also found out that an idea I had a while back has already been made. I once proposed here that if someone could encase an electric motor into a waterproof housing

wherein the motor would spin a magnetic plate and that plate's magnetism would then transfer thru the waterproof housing to a clutch that would then turn a prop, this

would enable us to make motors that we would not have to worry about equalizing because there would be no exposed motor shaft with a motor shaft seal to leak from

outside water pressure. Well an outfit called Rimtec has made it. This could really be something we could use. No more worrying about equalizing our motors or shaft seals

leaking! We can completely enclose our electric motors in a waterproof container and let the magnetic plate attached to our motor shaft turn the clutch that is OUTSIDE of the

housing and attached to the prop. Here's the links.

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:azpdF_0r5pIJ:www.packworld.com/articles/Products/13466.html+magnetic+clutch+from+Rimtec+&hl=en

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:FCpln3fVB24J:news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/10864/1620+magnetic+clutch+from+Rimtec+&hl=en

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:ArmiUJSUe30J:www.rimteccorporation.com/products/magnetic/+magnetic+clutch+from+Rimtec+&hl=en

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:I8WjYgXi7ngJ:www.rimteccorporation.com/+magnetic+clutch+from+Rimtec+&hl=en