Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] A short cut to one's own boat?

sealordone@aol.com wrote:

> Shipmates,
>
> This ad suggests the sub can be used for adventure tourism or
> military activity. I am not sure that is correct. I believe that to
> purchase a military sub you have to moor it to a dock, cut off one
> propeller to disable it, and use it either for historical (e.g.
> museum) or entertainment (e.g. night club) purposes. You cannot take
> it out to sea. Does anyone have definitive information on this?

I know that surplus U.S. Navy ships are subject to certain strict
rules.   Once, long ago, I was sent the pamplet about two ex-USN
submarines being scrapped  in Turkey.  According to that, the
subs cannot be retained intact if they're purchased outright.  And
the periscopes have to be removed and their optics destroyed
in the presence of a U.S. Navy officer.

Same rules for capital ships.  Small stuff, like DEs and  patrol
craft, may be retained intact, and operated.

Who'd want to trust an antique Whiskey, anyway?   Why bother?
No windows, too noisy, phenomenally expensive (when compared
to a K-sub with support boat) too large to take into small places ...
I could undestand tying one to a pier and using it as a home, and
maybe as an office or restaurant.

Mike