Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Sub form as a float ship normal: Exist?

Greetings Fanta

First off congradulations! I saw your profile and you have an impressive array of languages.

The problem with boat hulls as you likely know, is that they are not a good shape for withstanding the pressure. So if a sub looks like it has a common boat hull it is either just a thin covering over a steel tube that hides and protects all of the external working stuff and also makes the sub more streamlined like W.W.II subs or it is a wet sub.  I am working on building a dry ambient that is also a surface planing jet boat, and I have some examples of wet subs the also perform well on the surface on my web site; www.submarineboat.com  One is a design that is currently being built for the US Navy Seals. There are no good photos available but it is a lot like an inflatable ridged bottom boat that can deflate and submerge. And the winner of the 2003 Concept Boat contest is a seed boat/wet sub.  Both of these are on my "Submarine 101" page. Another example was built by  Herve Jauvert on the "Evolution of Design" page.  My own boat is a dry ambient which complicates the problem a bit more because in order to submerge with air inside the cabin, I have to take with me a lot of lead weight, which is not ideal for a boat that you also want plane when running on the surface.

Good Day --Doug