[PSUBS-MAILIST] It's a quiet day, here.

My semester is over, and the internship probably won't start until the second
week of June.

I recalled a conversation with my father about how deep submarines can go.
Running in the same room on TV was a WW2 movie -- "Run Silent, Run
Deep," maybe; I didn't really pay any attention -- and he said something about how deep they went. I told him that they'd submerge a little more than their
length.  He was amazed.

Something got me to the next step.  Remember that the K-boats (the British
ones, not the real ones) were so long and so fast on the surface that they
were in danger of slipping past their crush depths on a routine dive?  How
long did it take to go how deep, starting at, say, 20 knots?  This got me
to working out the three sides of a right triangle, to come up with a guess.
After some playing around, I found that the Gatos at 3 knots would travel
their length in one minute.
(Alas, my father would have simply stared at me, had this been mooted
in his presence.  He meant well, but he could never keep up.)

The third (and I hope final) step is thinking about this kind of thing in the
context of psubs.  We know how  long our boats are, even if they're a
canoe, and we can judge distance fairly well (close in).   It's probably
worth it to know how fast your K-boat has to go to move its length.
For what it's worth, my Lockeley-Newport 16 sailboat would cross its
length in one second at 0.158 knots.  The only time it went that slowly
was when I was dragging it back on the trailer.

(OK, the truth is that my lunch date didn't happen.   She's very special
to me, and, well ...   A man's gotta compensate.)

Mike