Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 6:07 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dive to Turn?

Question: When a sub is turned sharply at speed, using only the rudder, will it dive as well?  It seems to me that some roll would be induced by centrifugal forces on the heavy part of the sub (lower part) which would cause the rudder to be in a non-vertical position and point the sub in a turning and diving attitude.  Would this be a problem at speeds of 4-6 knots and if so, is it correctable?  Thanks, as always,

Cliff