Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] sub com

Dear Pierre.

As a diver I can give you my take on underwater sound. There are dive sites online you can go to for more information

but although I have read some of them I do not know their links offhand. You would have to search underwater sound or underwater communications.

Water is 800 times more dense than air. Sound also travels faster thru water than it does thru air. However, underwater it is very difficult to

determine what direction the sound is coming from or to understand what exactly that sound is. Many times it appears the sound you hear is coming from overhead when that is not the case.

The sound appears to be omnidirectional. Just as a subwoofer in a surround sound system cannot be located as to its location. You can tell where the front right and left speakers are and the

rear right, rear left, and center channel speakers, but you cannot tell the location of the subwoofer. Subsonic frequencies are omnidirectional which mean basically appearing to come from all directions. As opposed to unidirectional which means

coming from a specific direction that you can tell the location of by listening.

Essentially sound is vibration that reaches our eardrums. Underwater this is very muted sounding. Like you are wearing earplugs which essentially you are. Water ones. Also if you are wearing a hood it further covers your ears and blocks sounds.

It is possible to hear short words underwater between divers communicating in close proximity to each other. I can take my regulator out of my mough and hear myself say short words. Of course I hear them better than another diver will because I hear the vibration not

only thru my ears but thru my jawbones.

For instance you MIGHT be able to understand someone who takes their regulator out of their mouth and says very clearly

and pronounciating as sharply and clearly as they can the word "DANGER" or "HELP" if they clearly SHOUT them. But even these words are hard to hear via our eardrums and unless you

were right next to the diver and had excellent hearing you might still not understand exactly what word they said. You heard them say something but could not understand. Sometimes a diver will yell to their partner to get their attention if they are right next to each

other. Essentially a shout thru your regulator that can be heard for a few feet but not forming a word. You can hear a clang or tank banger underwater

and this is how some divers like myself get our dive partner's attention. We have an elastic band with a plastic ball around our tanks and when we want our partner's

attention we pull the ball and let it clang against our tank so they will look our way. I admit I have no experience as a diver trying to hear people talking from inside a sub

underwater. But my best guess is MAYBE if you had your ear right up against the hull you might hear something but whether it would be understandable or not I do not know.

As you got farther away from  the sub I doubt if you could understand much from even a few feet away although you might hear sound you might not be able to understand it.

There are underwater loudspeakers I have read about. But I personally have no experience with them and did not think that was what you were asking about anyway. I assumed

you meant could you hear and UNDERSTAND without any special aids or equipment. First the vibration of their speech would have to reverberate thru the air in the sub and then thru

the hull and then thru the water before it reached your ears. In my OPINION as a diver, to answer your question directly, if you were diving right next to the sub's hull and the occupants shouted loudly, you MIGHT

hear something. Whether or not you could understand what they said I highly doubt. I'm not an expert on this subject by any means. Just a diver relating his experiences.

Hope this helped.

Kindest Regards,
Bill Akins.