Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] For Cliff's spearfishing sub.

Dear Cliff.

Your story touched me.

Just like Charleston Heston wanted to preserve our firearm and hunting heritage for future generations, you want to preserve underwater hunting heritage for your descendants. You want to also enjoy seeing them enjoy themselves underwater

when you can no longer physically scuba yourself.

I know what you mean about getting older. It gets a bit harder to do things myself with my 51 year old body. I had to take my double dive tank rig apart recently to a single because it was

getting just too heavy to dive with what with supporting the weight and getting in and out of a boat with it with the steel inserts in my spine.

This old ex marine now a grandpa, has had my left hand fingers crushed (but now useble), half my right collarbone gone, left collarbone broken, most of my hair gone, both wrist surgeries, both knee surgeries with the left one twice, and two spinal surgeries.

I hate getting older! Lol.

I go to pain management for shots into my spine area when it gets bad. That helps some. But I realize that getting older means dealing with pain. I try to keep my strength and stamina up by working out and using the

boxing speed bag. But then my epicondials on both arms hurt and I have to take medication and get cortizone shots in them! You can't win against age. But like you I plan to hang in there as long as I can.

Like you I wonder how many more years I can dive and do the things I like before age stops me. I think your spearfishing sub is an excellent idea. Just as you say, it would enable

you to introduce your descendants to the underwater world and spearfishing at an early age from within the dry confines of grandpa's submarine. You  go guy!  I wish you the very best with building your sub and

achieving your dream. I am very interested in how you are going to rig the spearguns so you can aim and remotely fire them from within the sub. Are the spearguns going to be able to pivot and move or will they be static?

How will your sights be set up? Will each gun have a light attached to it, possibly a laser dot sight as well?

Will your spearguns be single shot only? Have you given any thought to making an air powered repeater that loads from a magazine or even a revolving speargun like a gatling gun type?  You could hang a bunch of baited

hooks all over the sub and catch just as many or more fish that way, but the remotely fired speargun sounds like a lot more fun. I hold a patent in the firearms field and am very interested in underwater personal weaponry.

There is an italian speargun that I forget the name of right now that is an "over under" two shot speargun. Thus far that is the only multishot speargun I know that is manufactured for civilian use. The U.S. navy and a few other

countries have underwater FIREARMS. An underwater firearm differs from an air or rubber powered speargun in that it uses a chemical combustion explosion to drive the dart or spear just as a metalic cartridge does in a standard firearm.

That is why a BB gun, pellet gun, or air or rubber powered speargun are all NOT firearms. You might run into some legal problems if you design and use an underwater firearm but you would be just fine and

fall into the same catagory of any other spearfisher if you used rubber or air powered spearguns on your sub. I would suggest air powered. There are two types of air powered spearguns. One drives the spear with the air which rushes out behind the spear

and obscures your vision for a few seconds. You lose air when you use this type of speargun. The other air type is also sometimes known as a hydraulic type speargun. You pump the chamber of your speargun up and when you

pull the trigger, that air goes into another cylinder that has a piston that pushes the spear out. The air stays trapped in the cylinder and does not exit the speargun. Then you can push another spear into the cylinder and this compresses the air

back into the chamber and makes it ready to fire again. Every once in a while you have to pump up the gun because of small air seepage past the o rings.

H & K makes a 5 shot underwater pistol that our navy seals use. But the Russians stunned our navy guys when we found out they had an underwater machinegun that looks like a stretched out

AK47 and fires 26 or 27 spear bolts from its magazine!  We have nothing like the Russian weapon. Check out these links for underwater firearms. They can give you some good ideas. Just remember they are underwater FIREARMS

and would be considered as such by the coast guard.

I am thinking you might look into building a revolving speargun similiar to a long pepperbox pistol or gatling gun type of barrel arrangement without the speed of a gatling of course. Lol. And have it air powered. Since you cannot exit the

sub to reload there would be no sense in using the hydraulic type of air speargun since you could not shove the spear back in to recharge it for the next shot. Or even a rubber powered rotating barrel type of gatling setup which would be easy to make and use standard

speargun parts. That would be a bit more bulky with all the rubbers stretched on the spears though. If minimal air loss for say up to 20 shots would not be a problem, I would go with a gatling rotating barrel arrangement, and have a valve that the barrels rotated

in front of and stopped in line with so that as in a revolver the air chamber was lined up with your barrel. If you make this barrel cylinder arrangement tight enough you will not get much air loss from between the barrel and air chamber. Plus it would be sleek and

streamline without rubbers stretched all over it. If you like this arrangement you could make this on your workbench. The only thing is....how are you going to rotate those barrels and remotely fire the speargun and aim it?

Were you thinking of having more than one speargun built into your sub?

I would be very interested in what type of spearguns you decide to design and build onto your sub. If you ever want someone to bounce ideas off of, I would be glad to help out.

Kindest Regards,

Bill Akins.