RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] acrylic viewport thickness

In regard to the cracking at the base, what we did on Solo’s dome was machine away the bottom several inches of material. The part where the near 90 degree bend occurs, and a bit above that for good measure, we got rid of on the assumption it would be stressed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Emile [mailto:2stroke@hetnet.nl]
Sent:
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 3:00 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] acrylic viewport thickness

Alec, Phil and others,

Good thread!

Carsten , I and an acrylic company are also working on hot blowed domes. We got another material-left on-the-apex than you Phil; 1/3 thickness left for an 180 deg dome. There is one dome made with the following specs:

-outside diameter   580 mm

-plate thickness       40 mm

-angle                       146 deg. (225 mm height)

-thickness on apex  19 mm

We not want to go further than 170 deg. for production reasons, we encounter problems with cracking of the mat. at the holes and at the base.

Phil, what temperature do you use for blowing domes?

Regards, Emile