Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] For Vance, recharging battery pods, Vacuums and unknown gas loss.

Thanks Vance.

I realized now you didn't mean anything. I'm too darned sensitive sometimes. Gotta work on that.

I could probably rig up a system wherein i could have insulated wires coming up thru the wetsub hull from the battery pod and that were sealed on their wire ends until I uncapped them and

passed them over to the dock to hook to the recharger. Also I could have several air lines that passed up thru the wetsub hull coming from the battery pod that were also sealed on their ends until I

uncapped them and hooked them to a blower to circulate air thru my battery pod while it was recharging. But this would entail two more penetrations thru the battery pod for the forced air system and another

penetration for the wires going to the batteries. I can see how this would be handy if I was going to be out a long time and wanted to recharge from another boat. But since I am limited to how much I can use the

wetsub in one day to the same limits of scuba diving and need to offgas nitrogen from my body whether I am simply diving or using the sub while diving, it is probably something I won't install right away. I won't really need

to recharge on the water that day because (according the the depth I have been diving at of course) I am limited to just so many dives in a day because of nitrogen buildup in my blood. I'm thinking that 4 batteries would probably

be more than enough for my purposes for a days diving, considering that my 24 volt minnkota would run full speed on just two or half speed on just one.

Most of the diving I will be doing will be just day excursions, launching the sub via trailer from the boat ramp.

But you are right, it would be a handy thing for those "just in case" instances if I wanted to go out somewhere and anchor, stay overnight on the boat,  and then dive with the sub again the next day

and use the generator on the attending boat to recharge the batteries on my wetsub with.

So it certainly  might be something I would consider doing later on.

Now about that vacuum in the battery pod.

Since I will have the air equalization system installed on my battery pod using the scuba regulator which will constantly compensate for outside water pressure and vent air into the pod accordingly to compensate
for that outside water pressure, how can I get a vacuum in my pod? If a vacuum tried to form in my battery pod, that would cause my scuba regulator to sense a decrease in pressure in the pod, and the scuba regulator would
then vent air into the pod until the pressure inside the pod was equal to the pressure on my scuba regulator. It would do this whether the scuba regulator was underwater of not, correct?

Now let's say I am on the surface or on the trailer and I recharge and have my air tank going to the scuba regulator closed. So now my pressure equalization
system is offline so it would not compensate for any vacuum that might form. But still, how does a vacuum form at all?

If the oxygen that is seperated from the hydrogen recombines with the hydrogen via the hydrocaps or hydrolator to form water, how does
a vacuum form? Is there somehow some loss of gas that I am not taking into account? If so, how?  What has happened to that gas volume? Where did it go?

Kindest Regards,
Bill Akins.