Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] spearfishing

Hello Brian
The only use of spearfishing from a submarine that I
know is in scientific research the submarine Jago
placed a trasponder on the back of a celacanth in the
Comoro Island to trac the fish in the deep.  They used
a spear powered with air.  The spear had a small point
that stick in the body of the fish and had also the
emiter.  This was a very succesfull operation.  The
skin of the coelacant has very strong scales so the
animal was not injured and as far as I know after a
while the tip get loose and so the animal is again
free.  they tracked the fish to 700 m depth for some
time.
The other use of a speargun on a submersible was on
the viperfish in the Loch Ness they whanted to use it
to catch Nessi, but as far as I know without of
success.
the use of laser underwater I don´t know how feasable
is it then water absorb almost all the energy and you
need very clear water, and most big fishes don´t like
clear water because ther is no plancton and other good
food resources.
I hope this can help you
Jürgen

--- Brian Cox <ojaivalleybeefarm@dslextreme.com>