Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 4:06 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Battery pod. (question for Dan H.)

Bill and all,

Just FYI, we used PVC pods in the two-diver, prone wet subs at Perry and never had any problem with them. I think the pod cylinder itself was five feet long (don't quote me) and had flat, machined aluminum end caps. The caps were about an inch thick, with a slightly tapered rabbit cut in and an o-ring groove on both surfaces. The pods were cut square, milled flat and polished. Nothing to it. Also, the wiring was run through tygon tubing using mostly plastic fittings. I know it sounds simplistic, but that was the Perry way, and it mostly worked. If you are still uncertain, then compensate it (we never did). The pods were inside the sub, athwartships behind the diver's feet, so protected from bumps and bruises. The only test I ever saw on one was in the big sub tank and the pod imploded at something over 400 feet.

Have you figured displacement on Hobie hulls? They are very elegant and quick boats, but skinny for your purposes. It looks like you might end up with the hulls pretty deep in the water for towing. Perry took a 24 foot fiberglas hull and built a stern ramp into it. It had ballast tanks aft to flood down, and a sled arrangement inside to carry the wet sub. Of course, the thing turned out to be expensive, as the engine had to be put in the cuddy cabin to keep it out of the water and the stern drive run by a jack shaft in bearing collars. Nothing's ever easy!

Vance Bradley