Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Battery pod. (question for Dan H.)

Dear Pierre.

You said....."My design is mainly to be used in scuba deepth. I'm currently certified to
dive at 60 feet max. And I doesn't plan to go deeper in the near futur with
or without the sub.
Battery pods: I think using PVC is a cheap and easy substrats to work with.
I like that! But I prefer the liability of the openning end made from steel.
I might do a hybrid of both pods... I'll let you know guys.
I don't think i will pressure compensate the pod. There is some air inside
the battery (lead-acid) and I'm affraid that if put under pressure they will
crack. If I had AGM battery, I wouldn't even build a pod. I would place the
battery inside and that's it. Like Alec do."

Actually PVC 12 inch pipe and it's fitting are not that cheap Pierre, (I paid $12.00 per foot for the
pvc pipe and about $225.00 for the permanent end cap, female end and male plug)
but it is cheaper than having steel frabricated.
Why would you want to mix pvc pipe with an expensive to frabricate
steel end cap? Just use the already threaded pvc female fitting with it's already threaded
end plug. Much cheaper and easier than frabricating steel for the depths of 60 ft where you don't
really need the strength of steel. The 12 inch pvc pipes and its end cap, female fitting and
end plug are already made and all you have to do is have the pipe cut to the length you want
and glue it all together. Why hassle with making a steel end cap or plug?  Note, depending on the
size of the batteries you are using, you might even be able to use 10 inch pvc pipe. Depends
on the size of your batteries. I use the 12 inch myself.

What makes you think that the small amount of air inside the batteries would
make the batteries crack if you air equalized the battery pod? By you air
equalizing the interior of the battery pod which would also seep into the batteries
thru their vents, I don't see the air pressing against the water/acid mixture
enough to crack the batteries at your 60 feet max depth  which is about 6 feet
under 2 atmospheres.
I don't know what kind of motor you are going to use, but if it is a trolling motor
I would recommend pressure equalizing it if you go beyond 33 feet, and if you
pressure equalize the motor, you might as well
also pressure equalize the battery pod to preclude any leaks.We are not talking
about that much pressure here at under 2 atmospheres.

Kindest Regards,
Bill Akins.