Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ultra-sound NDT [was: two man sub on ebay (or buying used submarines)]

Hi Dave,
That is really a good point.  At my plant we have a
really big steam header that has bad welding on the
brackets that hold it up.  It is about 80 feet long,
36 inches in diameter, and about 7 inches thick.
Normally it is operated at about 1000 deg F and at
2400-2600 psi.  The welds on the brackets should have
been full penetration welds, but due to poor fit up
really consist of two really big fillet welds with
about 1/2" gap between them.  The gap has slag in it,
as it wasn't back gouged/back ground and cracks
develop and travel along the interface between the
root of the weld and the header surface.  In addtion
to the weight that of the header that is being held by
these big brackets, the header itself also is a
suspension point for long and heavy steam tubing
loops.  We didn't want to just cut a bracket off, and
re-weld it and hope to get all the load balanced
again. So we ended up grinding out one side of the
weld, cleaning out the old root and rewelding it.
Then we would go to the other side, remove that old
weld, grind or gouge any slag that remained from the
new weld on the other side, and then re-weld the
second side.  We have done this on more than a dozen
of these brackets and it seems to be working well.  I
think the same technique could be used to repair bad
welds in a submersible.  You wouldn't have to remove
the weld holding the heads on, just a foot or two, and
then reweld it on both sides, grinding out any slag
and porosity. That would prevent any of the parts from
getting misaligned.

TIG is great but a little slow.  We like to TIG the
roots of our steam tube welds because we can't get
into the back of the weld to clean it up.

Ian, I don't know about UT cables.  We usually have an
NDT company come in with their equipment.  How good
you get will probably depend on how much you read and
practice.  I am thinking that 1/4" is probably about
as thin as you can get and use shearwave UT reliably.
We ususally use it on big mongo steam piping and
headers -  2-7" thick.

Rick, Yeah, that is a devils advocate question!  And I
am totally unqualified to give anything but an
opinion.  I like Dave's suggestion best.  If you have
a bad weld, or section of weld, grind it out and
reweld it.  I do think that you won't really know what
you have as far as weld quality goes until the paint
has been removed.  It is possible that no filler was
used at all, and that the welds are fine.  After it is
blasted you will be able to see pretty easily if they
ground off the gobs and filled in the holes with
putty.  If you have a nice, neat weld with out pits,
cracks, porosity, or cold lap areas  you are probably
OK as far as welding goes.

So... here is my question:  How do you test something
like this?  In steam and pressure vessel construction
they are pressure tested or hydro-ed.  Would the plan
be to remotely sink this machine to four or five
atmostphers to see if the welds and the seals can take
the pressure?  Just curious.  That seems like it would
be a prudent precaution, and one that would win the
support of your wife and insurance carrier.  :)

One more question: Does the tower have a repad?  A
reinforcing pad is needed where an attachment is made
in a pressure vessel to strengthen and re-inforce the
hole that has been made.  Calculations will have to be
made concerning the width and thickness of the pad and
that will depend on the planed operating pressure,
tower size (dia) and main vessel size.

Also, does it have re-inforcing rings running
circumferencially?  This would be a really good
feature.  I guess I had better read up on the design
features of the K series.

Well, the day is about done, hope it was a good one.
Good night all,

Dave

=== message truncated ===

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail