    From: Dan H. <mailto:jmachine@adelphia.net>
    To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
    <mailto:personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
    Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 3:47 AM
    Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Tired of Going in Circles

    Hello All,
Well, I've had My K-350 "Persistence" out several times this summer,
    and now that the local waters are clearing up more as they get
    cooler, I'll be getting in several more dives until it freezes.  As
    of yet, I haven't done a deep water test but dived manned to fifty
    feet several times and had no problems.  I don't care to take it any
    deeper then that until I do an unmanned deep water test to five or
    six hundred feet.
I've had a bunch of fun with it, even though I haven't seen anything
    spectacular.  With the practice, I'm getting better at controlling
    it.  It still bobs some as I'm submerging, but I now keep that down
    to no more then four degrees fore and aft.  Running a straight line
    when going top speed (don't ask me how fast but it's faster then one
    could row) is still difficult.  The faster I go the easier it is to
    get in a quick unintentional turn.  I know a tail fin would help but
I don't think I want to add one yet. The other thing that I need to do is install some sort of
    directional device.  I'm thinking a gyro compass.  Once I loose
sight through the conning tower viewports, I'm traveling blind. Even near the surface, unless the sun is shining through the top
    view port, I can't get oriented and keep it there.
Does anyone know where I can get a gyro compass or anything else to
    tell direction with, other then a new gyro for an airplane out of
    the catalogue at $1600 a pop?  Also, most airplane gyros seem to be
vacuum powered. I need either 12, 24 or 36 volt powered. How do you other guys tell direction ? Keep in mind I've been
    diving in pea soup where vis is no better then four feet.  To give
    you an idea how many pees are in the soup around here, at forty
    feet, there is ZERO light coming from the surface.  With the lights
    off, IT'S DARK!!!!
Thanks for any help, Dan H.

--
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done...."