Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Tired of Going in Circles

I am assuming it would have some effect. This calibration can be repeated when the boat is in the water off the trailer. All you have to have is a laptop attached to the magnetometer and some help to rotate the boat in the water.

Cliff
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray Keefer" <Ray.Keefer@Sun.COM>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Tired of Going in Circles

Hi Cliff,

I just had a horrible thought. If you rotate your sub while on its
trailer. Will the steel in the trailer have any effect on the readings
when off the trailer? Hopefully with the "compass" mounted high enough
the trailer will have no influence.

Regards,
Ray

Cliff Redus wrote:
As any  magnetometer will be effected by the steel in the hull, I
am planning on mounting my unit external to the hull behind the
pilot viewport in an non ferrous, water tight pod.

signal.  The documentation for the unit has both  "hard iron" and  "soft
iron" calibration procedures for nulling out the effect of the hull.
This is done while boat, with sensor attached, is rotated slowly 360
degrees.

Cliff

automated process and should be complete within five minutes of receipt
of your request.

mailto:removeme-personal_submersibles@psubs.org

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 311