Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] submerged motors

True.

However if you are going to build a 1atm, why not spend a little more in materials and go beyond scuba depth. Say 200, 300, or 600 feet.

See http://www.psubs.org/faq.html#basicdesign for a discussion of the trade offs between ambient and 1atm designs.

Regards,
Ray

Fly Deep wrote:
Just a thought...I hear about a lot of ambient water vehicles that could be built. If these vessels are only being used to a SCUBA depth..say 100 feet than it is just as easy to build a really submarine that can withstand a depth of 100 feet and you don't need to concern your self with all the SCUBA stuff. It's only 50 PSI of pressure and can be dealt with very easily. David in florida

*/Ray Keefer <Ray.Keefer@Sun.COM>/* wrote:

    Hi,

    Oil and air compensation is used to keep the pressure differential
    between the ambient water pressure at any depth and the internal motor
    case pressure to managable limits. Limits of what? The motor housing is
    typically steel. The real limit is the motor shaft seal. A seal around
    the motor shaft is what really keeps water out.

    For instance Minn Kota motors are good to an atmosphere or so. Any
    deeper you have to compensate the motor housing in some manner or the
    pressure differential will force water to seep in through the seal.

    Take a look at Busby's book for a general discussion on compensation.

    Regards,
    Ray

    Pierre Poulin wrote:
     > Hi Simon,
     >
     > You can either use mineral and/or electric oil inside the motor
    or use a
     > scuba regulator to have ambient pressure inside you motor.
     > !
     > hope it help.
     >
     > Pierre Poulin
     > "building a dry-ambient sub"
     >

     >> From: SIMON WALKDEN
     >> To: Personal_Submersibles@psubs.org
     >> Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] submerged motors
     >> Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:07:19 +1200
     >>
     >> Hi all,
     >>
     >> I'm currently in the process of estimating costs and materials for
     >> building my own personal sub. I have, however, become stuck on the
     >> section of propulsion.
     >>
     >> How is it possible to have moving external parts, submerged, without
     >> them being flooded with water and ruined?
     >>
     >> If anyone is aware of a website which gives some insight, or has any
     >> helpful tips, any input would be much appreciated.
     >>
     >> -Simon

     >> link below or send a blank email message to:
     >> removeme-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
     >>
     >> Removal of your email address from this mailing list occurs by an
     >> automated process and should be complete within five minutes of
    receipt
     >> of your request.
     >>
     >> mailto:removeme-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
     >>
     >> PSUBS.ORG
     >> PO Box 311
     >> Weare, NH 03281
     >> 603-529-1100

     > Balayez vos courriels entrants et sortants et les pièces jointes et
     > contribuez à éliminer les virus destructeurs susceptibles d’y être
     > intégrés. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=fr-ca&page=features/virus
     > Commencez dès maintenant à profiter de tous les avantages de MSN
    Premium