Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Weeds growing up around Dreams (was submersible speedboat)

I'd like to quickly respond to this issue of submarine-cum-flowerpots.

I strongly feel that there is too much engineer and not enough artist in the process of building a sub.

Unfortunately, artists don't (usually) make good builders - they're too busy dreaming, designing and discussing.  One of the most notable exceptions here, of course, is Phil Nuytten ( http://www.nuytco.com/ ).  I've been to his shop in Vancouver a couple of times and physically run my sweating palms over Deep Worker and the mockup for the Exosuit.  They are truly things of beauty.  Phil's also an artist.  He's one of the few people I know that has successfully combined a business mentality, an artist's mentality and a doer's mentality.

As for my sub, I'm more concerned with the EXPERIENCE of being underwater, watching the bow wave sneak up to the forward window and slip around the sides of my canopy - when it gets built.  What do I care whether it can dive to 300 feet?  I want to SEE, BE PART OF, IMMERSE MYSELF INTO, ABSORB, BE SURROUNDED BY the first hundred feet, so a dry, ambient pressure boat suits my needs perfectly. I LOVE wrap-around dive masks for that very reason.  I'm an aesthetic.  I admit it (I'm a photographer).  The engineering mentalities will get their boats built.  The rest of us with much prettier ideas . . . well, we'll see you at the dock.

Why am I bringing this up?  Well, if you're looking out of a tiny (engineer) porthole, even the most enthusiastic among us will eventually get bored.  What a porthole does is truncate the EXPERIENCE of being underwater.  It robs you of the SENSE of being underwater, of being absolutely in the middle of it.  You are now at 600 feet and bored stupid.  A porthole is to a PC speaker as a canopy is to a THX Surround Sound experience.

A deep diving sub does, however, provide great conversation in the cocktail circuit.

So, IMHO, enrich the experience, especially for the engineers, and I have a sense that you'll feel about your sub the way some of us feel about wooden boats: We can't get enough of them.

My two cents (CDN).

Rick Lucertini
Vancouver, Canada

p.s.: Oh, BTW, that problem of a surface support boat and paying crew?  There is a fundamental flaw in the design of some subs that needs to be addressed.  If you want distance (no dock lurking), you need two things: More batteries and a more efficient hull design (more hydrodynamic).  This is the equivalent of a diver taking an 80 cubic foot tank for one dive, compared to a diver taking four sets of twin 90's.  Same mileage, gas costs, motel costs, tire wear, restaurant costs, etc.  But a LOT more diving.

What are YOUR needs as a designer?  Submarine or flowerpot?