[PSUBS-MAILIST] Weeds growing up around Dreams (was submersible speedboat)

Weeds growing up around Dreams

Someone wrote me a couple of weeks ago and asked "...do other sub owners you may know find the time to use their subs regularly or does it tend to be for a short time after they are first constructed?"

My reply was   "I think most home built subs that get built, are used a couple of years and then just sit in the garage, and then in the side yard, and finally as a road sign for a dive shop or worse.  That would be a good question to pose to the PSUB.org group.  Let me know if you'd like me to do that for you.

Frankly I recognize that this may be the fate of my own boat, however even if it were a near certainty, I would still be building it anyway.  For me the reward in is the journey not just the destination. I have already learn a number of new things, as well as skills.  Having taken a number of college and technical training classes, the cost of my sub at $12,000 has been money well spent even if I only value it for the learning experience.

Also important to me is that the sub gives me the opportunity to work together with my son, we have always spent time together but this is the first opportunity that I have had to let him have a role in designing parts, presenting ideas, and working with the tools. It's also a role modeling thing, in that both of my kids get to see what it takes to tackle a big project."

My point is that home build subs sitting in weeds, may not have ever made it to the waters edge, but they are not necessarily a dream that was not fulfilled.  At worst they were a learning experience, but the important thing is they represent one more person who dared to follow a dream.  And when I am in the company of dreamers who are also doers, I am in good company.

So I pose this question to the group.  Do other sub owners you may know find the time to use their subs regularly or does it tend to be for a short time after they are first constructed? And if they are not used or never completed then what was gained from having built the sub?

Well, I've got to get back to work on submarineboat/front-yard-flower-box. ;)

Best Regards,
Doug Jackson