Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] BOATING AND WATER USE ACTIVITIES

I thought of creating a scenario describing how circumstances could
affect us in adverse ways in regards to regs.  But I can sum it up in
this
manner.

[ conservatively, you spent $50K+  building your sub ]

For whatever reason, you find yourself in violation of a reg.

legal costs.

attorney's fee :  at least, $200 per hour
paralegal : at least, $50 per hour
up front fee : at least, $5000

court costs, filings fees, investigations : ? could be 30% of what you
paid
in personal legal fees....or more.

The court finds that you are innocent [ of whatever the transgression is
]
However, because of the "letter of the law" and the peculiar wording
of the law, the burden of responsibility falls upon *you*.  The judge is
reasonable, but must exact a penalty.  The judge has a latitude to work
with and gives you the less severe penalty and fines you $15000.

Total legal fees, court/administrative costs, plus fine : $100,000 [
maybe more ]
[  not to mention time taken away from your life and the stress it
creates ]

[ I will forego another possibility where a local paper finds a juicy
story in
your case and with an adverse slant that turns you into a villain and
a threat to society ]

Re:  keep your paperwork in order,   do your homework and plan ahead,
record your dives [ probably a good idea to carry a camera ], and don't
take
anything for granted.

--Steve

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!