RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Solo update pictures

Is there a particular reason there are holes in the stiffeners?

AS: Yes, two reasons in fact. I put eyebolts through the holes during
the process of forcing the stiffeners into the hull, and second they're
handy for passing cables or tubes along while keeping them a little
better protected. But the high-amp cables shown in the picture of course
are too thick for the holes.

On StbdXpanel.jpg, is the red light on top a safety light? By that I
mean
that it runs independently of the main power, so that if power goes
there's
still some light - like an "exit" sign inside of a building.

AS: The red lights are on the top of both panels. They are simply
interior lighting that runs off the hotel battery -- little LED lights
that draw next to no power and of course could be turned off anyway. Red
because it makes the pupils contract less. I guess the "safety" will be
a flashlight.

PortXpanel.jpg, there are two controls that are labeled "Port" and
"Stbd".
What are they for? Are they the "throttles" for your motors?

AS: Yes. I recycled the OEM trolling motor speed controls because they
were nice pulse width modulation units, and as they came with the motors
I felt the specs were guaranteed to be well matched. I just machined
those handles for them because the originals jut out too far into the
cabin. However in hindsight I would not go this way if I were to do it
again. The controllers seem to work very well, but under the covers that
panel is way too dense. It has 3 layers of components in about 3 inches
of depth, and takes days to take apart. I was terribly pressed for
space, and a better solution would have been remotely controlled speed
controllers, placed in the stern.

I like the brackets you made for the power cables. Looks like the same
material that are used to hold the air tanks in place. What's that
material?

AS: I've made half the sub of that stuff, even the sub's wings and the
external chassis that carries the thrusters. It's ultra high molecular
weight polyethylene, or UHMW for short. It's cheap, mechanically strong
(similar to nylon), absorbs very little water, and is easy to machine.
As it's a nice white, you don't even need to paint it.