Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] How to trim and ballast bigger boats.

Hugo Marrero schrieb:

> I am not familiar with the sub in Grand Canaria, but it looks like it is one
> of the hulls built by Submarines Oy, which is a later version of the LG-50
> (Looking Glass Submarine).
>
> I am not sure if I am understanding your comment, but I get that they are
> ballasting heavy and going to the bottom? If this is the case is just the
> way they have decided to operate it. If the bottom is a sandy bottom it
> should not be a problem as it is not damaging a thing. The problem comes
> when they hit coral reef.
>
> To avoid hitting the bottom, the sub must always be ballasted so that the
> sub is approximately 50 to 100 lbs lighter than the net buoyant force
> exerted in it by the sea water (many of us refer to this as being 50 to a
> 100 lbs buoyant). This will cause the sub to tend to rise very slowly, adn
> therefore all the pilot has to do is to keep pushing the sub with the
> vertical thrusters as the dive goes on. Since the thrusters are always
> pushing the sub downwards, the trhust is going upwards. This keeps the pilot
> from stirring up silt and causing a cloud which is not desirable while
> taking passengers. It also pretects the reef from damage caused by the
> vortex of the thrusters.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Hugo

I did the same trick with the thruster of -Sgt.Peppers- but I learned
that you have anyway to  mach the right weight up to some 1-2 kilogramms
on this little sub - or the Thruster have to run all the time. Hopefully
the indication system on two VBT on Euronaut will be such fine that I
get very fine figures what is in. Unfortunatlly I didnt find up today a
cheap and fine seawaterresistant sensor which is pressuretight up to 50
bars for the 1,7 m ( 5,6 feet) high tanks. Any idears ?

best regards, Carsten