Re: Reply to: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ABS - 3/17.1.1 - Normal Ballast System

I personally do not have and do not want a VBT in my sub. They take up
valuable space in the sub and are nothing more then an extra bell and
whistle that some engineer thought up as sort of something to "one up the
competition" for some government money (my exaggerated opinion). These tanks
can be good for deeper diving subs where air does funny things, but they are
definitely not a necessity for anyone who is building  a psub,  they are
just on optional bell and whistle. I do however have variable buoyancy
tanks. I get a kick at of the lengths to which you have gone, Hugo, to tell
us what these deep subs have for buoyancy control systems, while trying to
rub Vance's nose in something, of which, you two are talking about the same
thing. I see the difference here as viewpoint, HBOI has to have an
established vocabulary so as to minimize confusion behind its own doors and
they have written and rewritten their own dictionary in a way. But wait, go
talk to Newtco or all the other successful outfits and I bet the men who did
all the thinking at those places will explain ballast and buoyancy
differently.
My opinion here, but back to VBT's, don't need em and don't want em. Some of
the most amazing designs in this world turned out to look very simple, but,
they took the most brainpower to conceive.

Adam