From: Dan H.
Sent: Saturday, May 08, 2004 2:52 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST]  VBT (MBT) Revisited Idea

As you say,
"as a submarine begins to ascend the slot will be set at a spot that enables a nice speed of ascent.  As the air expands it is automatically burping....and will eliminate the tendency to become ballistic...it eliminates the need to continuously let out air manually"

My question was and still is; won't this method cause you to gain ballast as you go deeper that will make you travel deeper yet at a faster rate?

At one atmosphere of depth, your air will compress to 1/2 and be replaced by water.  Are you planning to compensate by constantly adding air?   If not, where does the air come from that will be automatically "burping out as you ascend."

I agree it sounds like a nice system for a smooth ascent but, unless I don't understand your design totally, it's not a good system to descend with.   It's safer to go "ballistic" then like a rock.

Dan H.