Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hull materials - fiberglass???

People who aren't experienced with FRP are afraid of it. You build it with frames and and formers, and it should work just fine. Maybe put an aluminum liner on the inside.
 But, i haven't tried tobuild a submarine or submarine model with it either.

Bob

Marten Liebster <mliebster@tbteam.com> wrote:

I hope I'm not bothering you guys with all of my questions. This is just a
great place to get information, as there are so many experienced psub-ers
here!

In looking through the PSUBS pictures I came across the one being built by
Alan D. Secor (http://www.psubs.org/psub_pic/alan_pic.html). The description
mentions that the original builder, Taylor Commercial Submarine Co., rated
it for 600 feet.

What piqued my interest was that it was made of FRP (fiberglass).

If I plan on not descending below 100 or so feet, is fiberglass a viable
option for the hull?

It seems as this would be less expensive and a lower weight option as
compared to a metal hull. However, I do realize that a metal hull would
potentially be a more sturdy hull.

Would, at such relatively low depths, fiberglass would be as safe (assuming
it is designed and reinforced properly)?

Marten

Fact is stranger than fiction. Truth is stronger than fact. R. Duncan

Do you Yahoo!?