RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] propane tanks revisited

Brian,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a promising alternative to having your own fabricated.

ML

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Brian Cox
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 10:30 AM
To: Personal_Submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] propane tanks revisited

Propane Tank investigation:

I was explaning my design to my diving friend and he mentioned that since my pressure hull is around 28" in diameter that I might consider a propane tank.  I have always discounted the propane tank idea because I felt having to deoderize it wouldn't be worth the effort, but then we discussed buying a brand new one -never been used - from the factory.   I didn't think that would make any difference whether you were buyng a new one from the factory or having one rolled from a fabrication plant  -  but  -  he pointed out that since the propane tanks are mass produced that they are cheaper !  So I called a propane company that I know and sure enough they are a lot cheaper .  For a 250 gal  which is approx 30" X 7'  the cost was $850.00    compared to $2000.00 (a year ago) having it rolled at a fab plant.  I still have to find out the exact specs on the propane tank however,  I'm not sure on the thickness  and I haven't confirmed the grade of steel.

Brian