[PSUBS-MAILIST] home improvement

Something that I have found tremendously helpful in the construction of my sub is having a couple of major home improvement projects on-going simultaneously, building your sub in a more clandestine environment kind of follows a tradition of the "silent service" anyway.  Your wife will think that you're really concerned about how great your yard looks, all the while you'll be planning the next step of construction !
Another thing that has eased "the look" , when someone asks me about what I'm working on, I now say that I'm building an underwater remote vehicle so I can shoot pictures underwater, you can still talk about all the aspects that relate to subs but you don't have to stand around and explane yourself.  This also helps when ordering materials and parts, when they ask " what are you using this for anyway?" - it really gets you out of there faster.  When I was shopping around for a pressure hull one company refused to sell to me when they learned it was for a maned submersible.

Brian