Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Underwater tent...

Pics? No, sorry, I just dropped the stuff off at the
waste transfer site...Moving, you know. The size of
the
protos I made was in the foot-by-foot range. I mostly
wanted to see what kind of a structure would be
required to keep the thing from collapsing. The
structure can be very flimsy indeed. I want to make a
full size proto after I move. I really can't forsee
any
problems other then the air supply. The support
structure will be simple fiberglass poles a central
tether cable will hold it down. It would look like a
pentagon from the top and a pentagon from the side.
The floor would be suspended above the water.

Warren.

--- Michael B Holt <tlohm@juno.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:27:47 -0700 (PDT) Warren
> Greenway  writes:
> >I made some scale mock-ups of my underwater tents
> >to evaluate the potential. They were made with wire
> >supports and thin plastic film. They worked great!
> >(Not really all that suprising, I suppose.)
>
> How big?   Got photos?
>
> I gave some thought to this when I was a teen.  I
> had a
> parachute, and it seemed logical to use that as the
> canopy.   It'd be weighted down by each shroud, and
> the hole at the top would be filled with a clear
> plastic
> window.
>
> >So, how
> >about some ideas for a fresh air system? With that
> >one problem solved, a temporary underwater habitat
> >could be made for divers for next to nothing.
>
> Why not put a hookah on the surface, pumping air
> down to the thing?   A simple scrubber would solve
> the CO2 problem.    Of course, there could be a
> two-tube system: one taking air in from above, and
> from the other side of the tent, a fan pumping air
> out.
> It'd work at the ambient pressure, of course, but
> the
> depth here is less than 20 feet ... isn't it?
>

> Mike

> The best thing to hit the Internet in years - Juno
> SpeedBand!
> Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
> Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up
today!