Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Underwater tent...

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:27:47 -0700 (PDT) Warren Greenway  writes:
>I made some scale mock-ups of my underwater tents
>to evaluate the potential. They were made with wire
>supports and thin plastic film. They worked great!
>(Not really all that suprising, I suppose.)

How big?   Got photos?

I gave some thought to this when I was a teen.  I had a
parachute, and it seemed logical to use that as the
canopy.   It'd be weighted down by each shroud, and
the hole at the top would be filled with a clear plastic
window.

>So, how
>about some ideas for a fresh air system? With that
>one problem solved, a temporary underwater habitat
>could be made for divers for next to nothing.

Why not put a hookah on the surface, pumping air
down to the thing?   A simple scrubber would solve
the CO2 problem.    Of course, there could be a
two-tube system: one taking air in from above, and
from the other side of the tent, a fan pumping air out.
It'd work at the ambient pressure, of course, but the
depth here is less than 20 feet ... isn't it?

Mike

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!