Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Cheap and heavy...

When Imelted lead I would melt it down, I forget the temp but it was nearly boiling with no flux, and let it sit for a few moments and then scrape off the junk from the top. Then lower the temp as some of the metals have higher melting points that lead and keep scraping the junk off. In in "session" I could take bullet or tire lead and have it within 5% of pure.
Carl

DJACKSON99@aol.com wrote:

I am going to get my second load (2500 lbs) of lead next weekend from a gun range. This range has a collection system built into it's trap so that the bullets end up in a 5 gallon bucket. It comes out to 16 cents a pound once all the brass is separated out (about 50%). Wheel weights and lead pipes are contain antimony which is better if your weight is also part of your frame, such as a skid because the antimony adds strength to the lead. But antimony is a pain to melt and keep mixed because it melts at a higher temperature than lead. This gun range is in Arkansas and I'd be happy to put you in touch with the manager there. I've got a web page with lots of details on working with lead if you care to have a look. http://jackson.parcabul.com/sub/lead.html Biting the Bullet
Doug J