From: Bob Duncan
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 7:44 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Interior paint (was: Scuttle valve)

To add to my last e-mail. I would like to talk a little about corrosion and corrosion control. Which is usually the primary purpose of a coating system (corrosion control). It takes 4 things to make corrosion: An Anode, a Cathode, a metal path, and an electrolyte. Oxygen is the primary electrolyte. Oxygen is contained in water, and of course a normal atmosphere. The salt in sea air (not only sea water) is a strong electrolyte.
 The easiest and most common method of corrosion control is to put a barricade on the metal surfaces to prevent the electrolyte from contacting the metals (anode and cathode). Since any structural metal is an alloy ie: steel is an alloy of Iron and Carbon you alread have an anode and cathode in contact with each other. We can't prevent this.
  There are charts available in corrosion control manuals, or corrosion engineer manuals that list how far apart metals are from being the cathode or the anode. The anode gives up electrons or is the one to rust away (if you don't mind these terms "rust") We put zinc anodes on steel ships to save the steel. The zinc anode is eaten away instead of the steel, then as a rule of thumb, the zinc anode is replace when it is half gone.
  Anytime you put a metal fastener thru metal, you again create a corrosion problem. As the fastener is seldom the same alloy as the material it is holding together.
    I'll try to keep this short, and simple !!!
  When you add electricity to the system, you have more electron flow, and increase you potential for a corrosion problem. It's very difficult to keep electricity out of a modern boat!

   Once all the metal is welded it is probably (possibly depending on the situation and design) the best time to clean the surface. Apply a chemical conversion if you are going to, prime the surface and apply a top coat. Then add the systems. It is very important to coat all metals used in the marine industry. There are few exceptions, one being that when you use an anode (such as zinc on steel) that the contact surface be bare. As it wouldn't do much good to put the zinc on a painted (or coated) steel surface.

   Corrosion control is an ongoing war in the marine industry.

   Bob

Bob Duncan <katsurencho@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hello,
  I would think that if it is an ambient pressure submarine, that you should be able to use the same kind of coating that is used in hyperbaric chambers.
  For a 1ATM submarine, i would use epoxy or polyurethane primer and topcoat. We dont' use the word paint, because paint is a decorative, and these are a coating system. I'm sure you will have a fair amount of condensation, on the inside of the boat.

  bob

Michael B Holt <tlohm@juno.com> wrote:
On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:05:26 -0800 Steven Mills writes:

>I had not thought of water-proofing the interior, but it makes sense.
>Paint or plastic? Would there be residual out-gassing over time from
>the plastic if one used spray-on vinyl like used in beds of pick-up
>trucks?
>What would be the curing time of paint versus plastic?

Hey, let's talk about this. What sort of paint can be used
safely on the interior of any sealed cabin? Some paints
have an odor that lasts for a long time.

Mike

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Fact is stranger than fiction. Truth is stronger than fact. R. Dun! can

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Search - Find what you?re looking for faster.