Re: Fw: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Scuttle valve

In submarines to pressurzie the hull - so that inside and outside
pressure is equal and you can open the hatch to leave the dammage sub
:-o and ;-)

Normal civilian ships have no "scuttle vales" ! - in war time and in
face of a raider they just open the head of an seachest. Or a manhole of
a main ballstwatertank or something like that - main cooling water pipe
flange.

On some german subs of WWII the have a vale with a closed blind-flange -
can be rebolted - and than just open the vale.

On a psubs size of the cabin-flood-valve is important to flood the boat
in a short time of some minutes so the pilot ca scuba out before he
freeze to dead or get to decompression-ill during the way to the
surface.

regards Carsten