Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Scuttle valve

I believe, historically, most military ships and submarines of the WWII
era had scuttle valves.  I recall that film U571 [ I believe that's it ]
had the
Enigma machine onboard and the Allies were after it.  Fearing capture
of both sub and Enigma codes the crew made an attempt to scuttle or
sink it before it could fall into Ally hands.  They did not succeed.

Have you seen the film?  Are you interested in WWI and WWII era
submarines
and submarine development?

regards, --Steve

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 13:30:54 -0800 (PST) Gail Paleka
<gailpaleka@yahoo.com> writes:
> Steve,
>
> No, I'm not "getting your drift."  Why don't you say it straight
> out?
>
> Best,
>
> Gail
>
> Steven Mills <cirtemoeg@juno.com> wrote:
> All hands !
>
> Didn't most WWII subs have scuttle valves?
>
> When "all is lost" and there is no hope of "resolution", it was time
> abandon ship and send that grey lady to the bottom?
>
> Are you getting my drift here?
>
> Next, I might want to discuss the topic of "keel haul" .
>
> Arrrh, Steve : )

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!