Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] OT: Copyrights/BOD

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, William Alford wrote:

>not in today's Book-On-Demand (BOD) print world. Such companies as
>www.1stbooks.com can print, bind, and ship a 350 page book in 3 minutes. I'm
>negotiating with them now about my father's autobiography. Initial investment
>for startup ~ $600 then royalties paid to author quarterly. Amazing.

	Hi Bill, I couldn't agree with you more, and I've used First Books
too. Great stuff! The trouble is a lot of right's holders don't seem to get
the economy of on-demand print or electronic document controls at all. Even
my editors, who are usually pretty savvy, have reservations about it. Why?
They can't really put it in words, but my guess is that it takes out the
big publisher houses as the deep pocketed middle-man, like online music
distribution is doing with record labels.
	Perhaps someone might mention an on-demand printing system for
Stachiw's book, or even Busby? Being in the public domain, Busby could be
printed on demand by almost anyone as long as no profit was generated from
the copyright.

--
							John

John Brownlee