Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Alternative to Through-Hull Ports for Electrical Connections

Hey Guys,
Why not just use a multiplex system, and route control
and sensor data through the hull metal. Simply have
the computer unscramble the different frequencies. You
would use the main hull as one pole, and an insulated
part, such as a specifically built hatch, as the other
pole. As for power transmission, simply place all
heavy current power sources outside the hull, with a
separate power grid inside for the controls and life
support. This leaves only one hole in the hull. The
one you go in and out through anyway. Simple,
efficient, and off the shelf.
Dewey
--- Peter  McKellar <mckellar@earthlink.net> wrote:

---------------------------------
My spin on this is that it is not probably an optical
coupling.  The receiver in the PC would be getting
a digital signal (suitably modulated on the TV carrier
wave) which it could treat as code - you would
just need a simple program to gather the bits and
store them.  The box in the top of the screen would
just be digital data.

The same trick is used by TELETEXT services (esp for
the hard of hearing or in pubs) - the data is
transmitted in the non-display control lines with
every image.  As you note this is only one-way and
would require 2 systems to work.  But as it is really
still radio/TV rather than optical, we would be
back to the optical coupling suggestion.

Whilst information is a key thing to be passed
externally - controlling motors, hydroplanes etc,
my biggest concern is power transmission.  A number of
submarine disasters relate to deisel
engines getting access to cabin air (hatch left open
etc), soffocating the crew.  This is probably
unlikely to be an issue for me, but batteries explode
also.  I favour having them outside the
cabin.

At this early stage I still favour an acrylic hull
(transparent anyway - c'mon transparent aluminium),
but as raised here, passing wires through a plastic
hull may be fine until there is a short and it melts
through :(

Induction is still looking good - but still way short
on ideal

cheers
peter