Prone position.. was Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Carsten: Sgt. Pepper

What was it about the prone position that was uncomfortable?  My current
design is prone and about the same length, but with a 700mm-750mm
(~28"-30") diameter, a
hanging harness (think hanggliders), and a sloped chest-hip pad with
chin-rest that keeps most of the weight off the elbows and neck.

Warm Regards
Shawn

Shawn the answer is simple - build a 1:1 scale mockeup from unexpensive
material - in your wifes kittchen maybe. Than go in and test it so long
you want - if you build a sub according to class standards - a single
seater = 72 hours..

If you find it after 3-4 hours still comfortable - maybe okay.
In Sgt.Peppers about 2 hours is the border. (540 m diameter) If you want
to sit for some minutes in the sub - you need about a diamter of at
least 900 mm ..

On problem on Sgt.Peppers is that you can not reach the technic near
your legs and feets with the hands.. so all technic which need control
or maintance during the dive has to be in the area of your hands.. -
thats the area were also your shoulders are..

hmm.. build a plywood, paper something mockeup and test it for hours..

I build a 1:1 mockeup of Sgt.Peppers and test it before I build the real
thing - but I test it only for minutes - 5 Minutes there - 10 minutes
this. That was wrong. Test it at leat so long as you wish to dive - and
than add 100 % - if you fell comfortable - okay build it..

regards Carsten